Breadth, depth and complexity covering planning and initiation of alternative approaches to skills or knowledge applications across a broad range of technical and/or management requirements, evaluation and co-ordination.
The self-directed application of knowledge and skills, with substantial depth in some areas where judgment is required in planning and selecting appropriate equipment, services and techniques for self and others.
Applications involve participation in development of strategic initiatives as well as personal responsibility and autonomy in performing complex technical operations or organising others. It may include participation in teams including teams concerned with planning and evaluation functions. Group or team co-ordination may be involved.
The degree of emphasis on breadth as against depth of knowledge and skills may vary between qualifications granted at this level.
Do the competencies or learning outcomes enable an individual with this qualification to:
• demonstrate understanding of a broad knowledge base incorporating theoretical concepts, with substantial depth in some areas
• analyse and plan approaches to technical problems or management requirements
• transfer and apply theoretical concepts and/or technical or creative skills to a range of situations
• evaluate information, using it to forecast for planning or research purposes
• take responsibility for own outputs in relation to broad quantity and quality parameters
• take some responsibility for the achievement of group outcomes.